Use your creativity to educate doctors about a new cancer treatment!
Imagine you have been cloned when you were born. You and your clone were separated and you had different lives. You lived in crowded cities, in the US, eating well (maybe too much fat) and not exercising a lot. Your clone has been raised in the desert, without sufficient water. You and clone are reunited at the age of 50. You look different, of course. But not only you look different but you have become different. Environmental factors have changed the way your genes are expressed, which is the epigenome.
While the genome (hereditary information) is the same between you and your clone, the epigenome has decided how the genome is expressed. Although it has not changed your DNA.
Epigenetics (literally “above genetics”) is the study of changes in gene activity, the way genes are expressed.
In multiple myeloma (a cancer of the bone marrow), this epigenetics dysregulation contributes to disease progression and drug resistance. The disease develops faster because the epigenome is deregulated.
A pharmaceutical company, that wishes to stay anonymous, has found a way to reprogram the epigenome with a new drug in order to hold back the development of this cancer. The way it works is as follows: in multiple myeloma, genes, which would control cell growth, are switched “OFF” causing disease progression. This drug will switch back “ON” these genes and block tumor growth. This is epigenetic reprogramming. That’s a solution.
In order to educate doctors about this phenomenon, the pharmaceutical company would like creatives’ help to create simple, engaging visuals to illustrate epigenetic dysregulation and epigenetic reprogramming.
Would you like to help saving lives and contribute to a noble cause?
Create two arresting pictures that visually explains in a simple, non-scientific and creative manner what are: epigenetic dysregulation and epigenetic reprogramming so that doctors will want to learn more about them.
We are not looking for scientific visuals with lots of DNA and genes… We are looking for beautiful, clever visuals that could be featured on a brochure, a poster or online to attract doctors’ attention. The visual must have stopping power. Use your imagination to find examples, allegories, metaphors and parallels instead of science labs, DNA helixes and white coats.
2 key visuals should be submitted, and a short text, on a separate page that explains your ideas for the 2 visuals:
- One visual focuses on the problem: epigenetic dysregulation
- One visual expresses the solution: epigenetic reprogramming
There are some exclusions:
- No people should appear in the visuals.
- Nothing too cold, too medical
- No computer and programming evocations of templates or designs.
- No animals (although you can use animals for the problem visual = the epigenetic dysregulation)
The visuals will be used as inspiration for an agency and finally help the company to introduce epigenetics to physicians who cure cancers.
We strongly encourage you to look at this video and to do a bit of research in your own language.
We can explain Epigenetics by saying this is when DNA and environment interact.
There are some analogies that can be made to understand what is Epigenetics. DNA is a sequence of letters that do communicate something. Epigenome is the punctuation and the spaces between letters and words. The way epigenome acts certainly changes the meaning of the message.
That would be one way to visualize the topic: certainly a message will be different when punctuation and spaces are all over (“So.,me/ th in?glik eth is” that’s epigenetic dysregulation) than when letters, spaces and punctuation are organized neatly to form a message. (“something like this.”, that’s epigenetic reprogramming)
Premio della Giuria
- #1 Premio 3.000 €
- #2 Premio 1.500 €
- #3 Premio 1.000 €
PDF of three pages: 2 visuals and one page of explanations.
Criteri di Vincita
The ideas need to clearly communicate the problem and the solution. Awards will go to visuals that you can understand straight away, even without much explanation while being clever and creative. These visuals will become iconic symbols for the topic. Best ideas will also be those that stand out amongst other visuals.
Linee guida per questo concorso
Linee guida standard eYeka
- Non indicare alcun dettaglio personale nella tua proposta (nome, numero di telefono, indirizzo email etc.)
- Conserva una versione in alta qualità della tua reazione nel caso tu sia selezionato come vincitore.
- Il tuo media deve essere frutto del tuo proprio lavoro per essere considerato ai fini del concorso.
- Devi avere l'autorizzazione scritta di ogni autore ed attore che ha contribuito al lavoro.
- Se hai opere (musica, foto, progetti, ecc.) non di tua proprietà, indica nella descrizione del tuo lavoro se la musica e/o l'immagine o le immagini utilizzata/e è/sono o meno una tua personale creazione e riporta i link che rimandano alla licenza che ti conferisce il diritto di usarla/e.
- eYeka ti chiederà di fornire prova scritta o copia di tutti i documenti confermanti tale autorizzazione e che permettano a eYeka e ai suoi clienti di utilizzare il media ai sensi dei Regolamento del concorso.
- Tutti i media che non rispettino queste regole non saranno considerati ai fini del concorso.